The Register of Play Inspectors International (RPII) is the official UK body for examining, accrediting and certificating inflatable, indoor and outdoor play inspectors. The RPII also accredits courses for the training of inspectors to ensure that playground safety standards are met and adhered to for your complete peace of mind.
Ensuring play safety is essential – both for the protection of the children using the equipment and to mitigate risk for the councils, schools and organisations in charge of these play areas. By using accredited playground inspectors, providers can be sure that they meet the strict criteria set by the RPII and that they’ve been fully trained to conduct inspections to the required levels of competence.
Our vision is clear: to ensure playground safety for all types of play areas and equipment. We do this by:
- Accrediting and certifying individual play inspectors who have shown the required level of knowledge and demonstrated competence to the required standards.
- Providing a register of inspectors who reach the required standard and agree to the terms and conditions of registration.
- Promoting the Register of Play Inspectors and making it widely available to organisations and individuals who may require the services of such inspectors.
Our Board of Directors
The RPII board is made up of a range of industry experts who are knowledgeable across all areas covered by the organisation.
Chairman and Technical Director - Outdoor
Vice Chairman and RoSPA
Fields In Trust (originally NPFA)
Members Representative, Technical Director - Inflatable
Marketing & Communications and Technical Director - Indoors
The four main founding organisations who began working together to provide independent accreditation for play inspections are:
- Association of Play Industries (API)
- Institute of Leisure and Amenity Management (ILAM) – No longer trading
- Fields in Trust (FIT) (originally NPFA)
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)
The RPII also works closely with the British Standards Institute (BSI).
Play area and equipment safety
RPII playground safety and equipment inspections include Annual Safety Inspection and Reports, Post-Installation Safety Inspection, Operational and Routine Inspections
All of our registered inspectors meet our high standards for assessing children’s play areas and equipment, covering 3 specific areas:
- Indoor – RPII Inspectors for Indoor Play and FEC Centres
- Inflatable – RPII Inspectors for Inflatable Play Equipment
- Outdoor – RPII Inspectors for Outdoor Play Areas
With the protection of children being of paramount importance, the founder organisations joined forces to develop an independent, governing body for play equipment and play area inspections. By combining their knowledge and expertise of play safety issues, the RPII offers a platform for inspectors to show potential and existing employers that they have demonstrated their competency to carry out the inspection and reporting tasks required.
The Register benefits inspectors, employers and the public by:
- Accrediting organisations with approval to organise and run equipment and playground inspector courses
- Approving a syllabus and methodology for delivering the course content
- Ensuring adequate resources and finances to meet the above aims
- Ensuring candidates have a range of opportunities to demonstrate the required skills, knowledge and competencies
- Promoting the existence and purpose of the register to the play industry and play operators
- Ensuring registered Annual inspectors have Continual Professional Development (CPD) and keep up-to-date with changes to equipment and play safety requirements
- Maintaining a code of conduct within which all registered inspectors will operate